Home Modification Service (HMS)

The Our Lady of Consolation (OLOC) Home Modification Service aims to improve your sense of well-being by offering entry level home modifications that aim to increase your level of independence, your safety and your ability to access things in your home.

How to Get Started

To be eligible for the service, you must fit the NSW Community Care Support Program Target Group, follow the correct application and approval process, with a referral from your General Practitioner or community nurse or hospital. Self referrals from eligible clients or their carers will be accepted on the condition that eligibility is validated.

You will be assessed by our Occupational Therapist for Home Modifications to determine the most suitable, safe and practical solution for your needs and our Home Modification Service (HMS) Coordinator/Licensed Builder will perform a free measure and quote for any proposed work. 

For further information you can contact one of our friendly staff on (02) 9832 4599.

After the assessment we will make contact with you and organise to meet and discuss your needs.

Who Can Access the Home Modification Service

You must be an younger person, under 65 years of age (or be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person under 50 years of age) living at home and require some help to remain safe and independent in your home. Then based on your assessment you may be eligible to receive assistance from the Home Modification Service supplied by Our Lady of Consolation (OLOC).

Where required, a carer of a client receiving Home Modification Services may also be eligible to have some home modifications to their house if the older person is spending significant time at the carer’s house.

We operate in the local government areas of: Auburn, Blacktown, The Hills, Holroyd and Parramatta.

What Type Of Modifications Might I Receive?

The modifications you can access through the Home Modification Service are not general renovations to your home. The allowable modifications are specific to keeping you safe and independent. There is a wide range of alterations that we might be able to assist you with and some of the things that might help are:

  • Redesigning a bathroom, to help you to maintain your independence in a safe environment whilst carrying out your own personal care.
  • Altering a kitchen, to allow you to continue to be able to cook your own meals. Your benches might need to be lowered or your stove changed to a side opening oven that you can easily operate.
  • Widening a doorway, to help you to move around your house, or to go outdoors into the sunshine.
  • Installing a smoke alarm, so that you are confident that in an emergency it will respond and enable you to seek help.
  • Installing handrails in your bathroom, to alleviate the risk of you falling.

Paying for the Home Modification Service

NSW Community Care Support Program Home Modification Services are not free or entitlement services, and people who have been assessed as eligible to receive the service and having capacity to pay may be charged fees.

OLOC’s fees policy is based on the ‘Principles for the Setting of Fees’ outlined in the NSW Government’s Guidelines for NSW Community Care Support Program services. This policy takes into account the level of income and amount of services used by people in considering their capacity to pay. The policy acknowledges that the majority of people using NSW Community Care Support Program services are dependent upon some form of income support.

Our staff will ask you to provide a range of information on your income status and based on the type and amount of services required will make an assessment on the appropriate fees to be charged. If your personal circumstances allow, you will be expected to contribute to the cost of the CCSP service.

Our friendly staff will discuss our fees policy and assessment with you in advance and include this in a plain English quote, setting out what has been agreed and giving you the opportunity to clarify any concerns before any services are provided.

We offer a range of payment options that we can tailor to meet your financial circumstances to ensure we deliver the CCSP service at an affordable fee.

All modifications to your home must be approved by an Occupational Therapist and this can be arranged by us on your behalf.

Before we finish it is important to us, that we inspect the job with you and make sure it meets your needs. Our Occupational Therapist will visit when the job is finished to make sure you are happy and that you are functioning in a safer, more independent way.

Our Commitment To You

We want to ensure that you are more than satisfied with the service you receive, and that it will help and support you to continue your role as a carer. However, if for some reason this is not the case then we would encourage you to contact us immediately on (02) 9832 4599 and your concerns will be dealt with promptly and professionally.

Whilst OLOC would prefer to have the opportunity to resolve all complaints directly in the first instance, If the resolution is not to your satisfaction or you prefer to use the external complaints procedure for CCSP services, which allows you to have an independent review, we will assist you to do so. Please refer to the Concerns, Complaints and Suggestions section for further information.

The appropriate external agency for complaints about NSW Community Care Support Program (CCSP) services provided to clients under 65 years old (or under 50 years of age for Aboriginal or Torres Strait island people) is the NSW Ombudsman. Contact details are as follows:

NSW Ombudsman’s Office
Level 24 580 George Street
Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: (02) 92861000 or
Toll-free (outside Sydney metropolitan area) 1800 451 524
Website: www.ombo.nsw.gov.au
Email: nswombo@ombo.nsw.gov.au

This activity/project/organisation is supported by financial assistance from the NSW Government.