Our Lady of Consolation’s Home Modification Service offers simple home modifications that aim to ensure that older people can remain living at home safely.
This service aims to improve your sense of wellbeing by offering entry level home modifications that aim to increase your level of independence, your safety and your ability to access things in your home. This service does not provide equipment.
The modifications you can access through this service are not general renovations to your home. The allowable modifications are specific to keeping you safe and independent. There is a wide range of alterations that we might be able to assist you with and some of the things that might help are:
- Handrails for external and internal use
- Grab rails for internal and external use
- Installing Hand Held Showers
- Replacing taps for ¼ turn Lever taps
- Replacing shower screens
- Lowering the hob step to the shower
- Reversing or re-swing bath/toilet doors
- Threshold rubber ramps
- Re-design concrete steps
- Install platform steps for walkers
- Installing timber step ramps up to 2m long
- Small concreting jobs for safety
All modifications to your home will be approved by an Occupational Therapist. They will come out and do an in-home assessment, once this has occurred, we will contact you and discuss the recommendations from the Occupational Therapist report. You will be given a quote for the work before any modification commences, giving you the opportunity to clarify any concerns before the work takes place. You will be required to sign off on the quote and you may be required to pay a deposit for the work depending on the cost of the work required. OLOC HMM service will issue you with a service agreement to carry out the work, including the terms of payment which both parties will need to sign before the work can commence.
At the conclusion of the work our tradesmen will inspect the job with you and make sure it meets your needs and the job will be signed off on by both parties.
To be access this program you must be:
- 65 years of age or older (50 years of age or over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or;
- Living at home and requiring some help to remain safe and independent, or;
- A carer of a client receiving Home Modification Services where the older person spends significant time at the carer’s house, and;
- Living in the local government areas of Auburn, Blacktown, The Hills, Holroyd and Parramatta.
Check your eligibility and apply online at MyAgedCare
The Australian Government subsidies a range of aged care services in Australia. If your circumstances allow, it is expected you will contribute to the cost of your care. If you are able to contribute towards the cost of your home modification, we offer a range of payment options that we can tailor to meet your financial circumstances
Any fees or subsidies will be discussed and agreed upon before any home modification work takes place so you have the opportunity to clarify any concerns.
How to Get Started
You will need to have your needs assessed by a My Aged Care assessor. To organise an assessment, apply online or call 1800 200 422. Alternatively call our friendly staff on (02) 9832 4599 for help navigating the aged care system.
After the assessment we will contact you and organise to meet and discuss your needs.
Need more than one service? Have you considered a Home Care Package?
Our Commitment To You
We want to ensure that you are more than satisfied with the service you receive, and that it will help you to continue to live at home. However, if for some reason this is not the case then we would encourage you to contact us immediately on (02) 9832 4599 and your concerns will be dealt with promptly and professionally.